Keyboard shortcuts is an interesting topic for developes that can really improve your report development in Power BI Desktop. In this post I show you some keyboard shortcuts/hotkeys when writing DAX in Power BI Desktop.
- Indend right: Ctrl + ]
- Indent left: Ctrl + [
Mini-tip: You can also indent your code to ther right by pressing TAB or indent left by pressing Shift + TAB. But, the difference is that if your cursor is in the middle of a line, when you press TAB it divides your code to two pieces and indends the characters to the right from the position that cursor is in.
- New line keep indent: Shift + Enter
- New line starting from first of line: Alt + Enter
- Activate Intellicence: Ctrl + Space
- Comment multiple lines: Ctrl + KC or Ctrl + /
- Uncomment multiple lines: Ctrl + KU or Ctrl + /
- Move the current line up/down: Alt + Up/Down Arrow Key
- Enter multiple lines of code at once: Ctrl + Alt + Up/Down Arrow Key
- Find and replace a word: Ctrl + D to highlight the current word, Ctrl + D again to find/highligh the same next word. Continue pressing Ctrl + D to find/highlight all same words, then start typing to replace all words at once
- Find and replace all of a kind at once: Ctrl + Shift + L to highlight a part of your DAX expression then start typing to replace the highlighted words at once
Mini-tip: You can use Ctrl + / to comment/uncomment all lines including a desired word.
- Go to line number: Ctrl + G
- Deleting a word: Ctrl + Del
- Deleting a/multiple lines: Ctrl + Shif + K. To highlight multiple lines then Ctrl + Shif + K
Question: Do the shortcuts above work when writing DAX in Power Pivot or SSAS Tabular Model? No!
Last word: I was thinking of adding screen captured GIF animations, but, I thought it takes a lot of time to produce such a thing and this is meant to be a quick tip. So I didn’t do that.